The trail leads hikers along the ski slopes and through the Saas-Fee forest to Gletschergrotte.
Distance 2.1 km
The trail begins at Hotel Saaserhof and leads below the Stafelwald ski lifts towards Felskinn station, turning right into the forest in front of the bridge overlooking Viège de Fee (Feevispa). This is a signposted path which crosses hilly woodland and passes the old Saas-Fee mill wheel. After Felskinn station, the trail then gently snakes back up the mountain close to the ski slopes. The final destination is the Gletschergrotte restaurant with its magnificent sunny terrace offering the perfect place for a rest.
This trail is also recomanded as a snowshoe tour.
Take a break on the terrace at Gletschergrotte and enjoy the surrounding countryside.
AuthorSaastal Tourismus AG
Update: December 26, 2022
Rest stopsMountain restaurant Gletschergrotte
Safety informationUse of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on “Print” icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals. Do not leave any waste in nature.
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan hike carefully: take into consideration fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Take note of the warning signs that point out the constant danger, especially the danger of avalanches.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible, avoid going alone.
Tips and hintsSaastal Tourismus AG
Obere Dorfstrasse 2
Phone: +41 (0)27 958 18 58
Getting thereTake the cantonal road to Visp, and at the roundabout near the Landbrücke continue south towards Saas-Fee and Zermatt. At the ‘Killerhof’ roundabout after Stalden, take the second exit towards Saas-Fee. At Saas-Grund turn right at the intersection after the church towards Saas-Fee.
ParkingThe covered public parking area is located immediately as you drive into Saas-Fee village.
32T 416888 5106294
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water, picnic
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click “Print” icon, top right, to download)
- 1 Waypoints
- 1 Waypoints
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view