The hike starts at the mountain station of the Fiesch – Fiescheralp cable car, from where you set off in a westerly direction. After passing the snow-covered Alps and the slopes of Martisbergeralp and Laxeralp, follow the Herrenweg trail until you reach the Bättmer-Hitta restaurant. The route then climbs slightly towards Wurzenbord, where a magnificent view of the mountains awaits you. After this, the trail takes you back downhill, past the Berghaus Möriken hostel to Hotel Aletsch. Now follow Dorfstrasse through Bettmeralp westwards as far as the mountain station of the Bettmeralp cable car, passing the Maria zum Schnee chapel and typical Valais chalets on the way. Continue on the Aletsch Promenade in the direction of Riederalp West. There are hardly any more vertical metres to overcome on this section of the route. Numerous benches invite you to rest a while, enjoy the view and recharge your batteries.
The tour comprises a number of separate sections. Please check the winter sports report for the status (open/closed).
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes.
Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on “Print” icon, top right of this page.
Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals. Do not leaveanywaste in nature.
Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
Plan hike carefully: take into consideration fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season.
Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertainweather, turn back in good time.
Do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
Take note of the warning signs that point out the constant danger, especially the danger of avalanches.
Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible, avoid going alone.
The altitude and the route mean that good footwear is absolutely essential for this winter hike.
Tips and hints
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Fiesch exit, then follow Furkastrasse to the valley station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG). Take the cable car up to Fiescheralp.
ParkingLarge pay car park at the valley station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
Book recommendation by the author
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water, picnic
- hikingpoles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click “Print” icon, top right, to download)
Basic Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons at minimum and a basic ice axe are recommended when covering steeper terrain
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.