This particular fairy tale begins at Rotenboden, where the winter hiking trail leads off to the left. The loop towards the Riffelhorn is particularly special - depending on the time of day, the Riffelhorn casts cold blue shadows in winter and walkers can see and feel for a moment just how much the sun warms the landscape, and how cold it can be in the shade.
The trail then heads up a small incline, where effort is rewarded with stunning views of the Matterhorn, before winding gently down to Riffelberg; children will love being pulled down this stretch on a sledge.
- Suitable for children aged 4 upwards
- Magnificent Alpine views of the Matterhorn, Weisshorn and other four-thousanders
Take a ride right up to the top on the Gornergrat Bahn, where you can marvel at the view of 29 four-thousanders and a breathtaking panorama of glaciers and mountains before heading back to Rotenboden.
Rest stopsBuffet & Bar Riffelberg
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
Tip: “Be searchable”. Equip yourself with an additional RECCO rescue reflector*. Whether summer or winter. Available in our Online-Shop or our information desk.
*The additional reflector does not replace an avalanche beacon.
Getting thereZermatt is car-free. Private vehicles are permitted only as far as Täsch (5 km before Zermatt). The Täsch–Zermatt road is closed to the public.
Onward travel to Zermatt is either by private taxi or shuttle train. Trains depart every 20 minutes; the journey takes about 12 minutes, and ends at the Bahnhofplatz in Zermatt.
ParkingTäsch has car parks with both covered and open-air parking – e.g. at the Matterhorn Terminal or privately operated facilities.
Onward travel: see “Getting there”.
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather