After the barrier, the path continues next to the cross-country skiing trail through a snow-covered valley to the “Eiju-Sand”. The trail ends Here. Follow the groomed track over the bridge and the road zigzagging further up to the northern moraine where the trail enters an alpine winter landscape. At the next bridge (with a barrier), turn right and follow the signs up to the bottom of the dam. After the last ascent up the dam, enjoy the view over the Mattmark Lake in winter mode.
Take a sledge with you to shorten the return trip.
Safety informationUse of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on “Print” icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals. Do not leaveanywaste in nature.
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan hike carefully: take into consideration fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertainweather, turn back in good time.
- Do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Take note of the warning signs that point out the constant danger, especially the danger of avalanches.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible, avoid going alone.
- A part of this trail follows the cross-country ski run.
Tips and hintsSaastal Tourismus AG
Obere Dorfstrasse 2
Phone: +41 (0)27 958 18 58
View this tour on SwitzerlandMobility: N°875 Winterwanderweg Mattmark
Getting thereSaas-Fee/Saas Valley can easily be reached by car from all directions, whether from Switzerland or abroad. From the north, via Bern using the Lötschberg car transporter. From the east, cross the Furka Pass or use the Furka car transporter. From the south, via the Simplon Pass or using the Simplon car transporter, and from the west, via Lausanne along the Rhône valley to Visp and from there towards Saas-Fee.
From Visp, drive south in the direction of Saas-Fee. At the "Killerhof" roundabout after Stalden, take the second exit towards Saas-Fee. In Saas-Grund, turn left after the church in the direction to Saas-Almagell. Follow the road until Saas-Amagell.
ParkingPublic car park on the right-hand side after the tourist office.
There are a few parking places at Zermeiggern.
Author’s map recommendations
- Good footwear
- Clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- Hat or cap
- Bottle for water, picnic
- Hikingpoles (optional)
- Printout of this hike (click “Print” icon, top right, to download)
- 2 Waypoints
- 2 Waypoints