Take the cable car up to Cry d'Er and stop by the Cry d'Er Club d’altitude and its restaurant, whose lively terrace offers a fantastic view of the Alps. Head down in the direction of Chetzeron. The hike runs alongside the ski pistes for a good stretch, so you’ll rub shoulders with skiers from the start of the walk. On your right you’ll see the Lac de Tseuzier, an artificial lake formed by the Rawyl dam, whose water is used to produce the region’s electricity. You’ll also notice the extraordinary Hotel Chetzeron, whose terrace offers a truly unbeatable view.
Continue your descent down to Merbé, the middle station of the Cry d’Er cable car. (You could cut the walk short here by taking the cable car down to Crans.) Merbé restaurant has a beautiful terrace where you can grab a bite to eat. Continuing on your way, you’ll reach the Lac de Chermignon, where there are several picnic spots. The walk ends when you arrive in the centre of Crans.
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Valais/Wallis Promotion accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on “Print” icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals. Do not leave any waste in nature.
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan hike carefully: take into consideration fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Take note of the warning signs that point out the constant danger, especially the danger of avalanches.
Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible, avoid going alone.
Tips and hints
More information about the destination:
Getting thereA9 highway exit at Sierre-Ouest, follow the national road via Chermigon until Crans. From there, take the cable car to Cry d’Er.
ParkingParking at the cable car Crans-Cry d’Er. Follow the local car park routeing in Crans.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water, picnic
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click “Print” icon, top right, to download)