Much of the route runs alongside the ski slopes and you’re never far from a ski lift – some of them even pass right above your head! There are a number of sunny terraces along the way where you can stop for a bite to eat and enjoy the breathtaking panorama.
The hike begins with a climb up to Plans-Mayens and continues on to the Arnouva restaurant and its children’s snow park, a winter paradise where kids can learn to ski. The hike then passes through Vermala, with its iconic tower. No need to climb the tower to enjoy the magnificent view of the Rhône valley, though – it’s already right before your eyes.
To reach the next stage of the walk at Marolires, you can use the two tunnels to cross the Piste Nationale, a former world championship piste. Once in Plumachit, you can enjoy the large, sunny terrace before starting the descent to Aminona, where you will pass by the little rural chapel of L'Aprili. From Aminona, you can return to Crans-Montana by public transport.
Rest StopHameau de Colombire
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Valais/Wallis Promotion accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on “Print” icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals. Do not leave any waste in nature.
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan hike carefully: take into consideration fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide. Take note of the warning signs that point out the constant danger, especially the danger of avalanches.
Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible, avoid going alone.
Tips and hints
More information about the destination:
Getting thereA9 highway exit at Sierre-Ouest, follow the national road via Chermigon until Crans.
ParkingParking Régent (congress centre). Follow the local car park routeing.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water, picnic
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click “Print” icon, top right, to download)