Open in winter and summer alike, this trail was created in 1996 in honour of author Dr Carl Zuckmayer.
Distance 5.4 km
This marked trail leads from Zuckmayer's former home, Haus Vogelweid, in the Wildi district, to Bärufalla and then on to Mälchbodu., prior to ending at Café Alpenblick in the middle of a snowy forest on the sun-drenched Hannig Mountain. The winding path that starts behind Café Alpenblick leads back to Saas-Fee. The northern front offers spectacular views over Saas-Fee and leads to Honeggu, a hamlet just above the outskirts of Saas-Fee. From here, the path branches off towards Wildi and leads back to the starting point at Haus “Vogelweid”.
Enjoy a break at Café Alpenblick with a magnificent view of Saas-Fee.
AuthorSaastal Tourismus AG
Update: November 04, 2022
Rest stopsRestaurant Alpenblick
Safety informationUse of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on “Print” icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals. Do not leaveanywaste in nature.
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan hike carefully: take into consideration fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertainweather, turn back in good time.
- Do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Take note of the warning signs that point out the constant danger, especially the danger of avalanches.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible, avoid going alone.
Tips and hintsMore informationaboutthedestination:
View this tour on SwitzerlandMobility: N°872 Carl-Zuckmayer-Winterwanderweg
Getting thereTake the cantonal road to Visp, and at the roundabout near the Landbrücke continue south towards Saas-Fee and Zermatt. At the ‘Killerhof’ roundabout after Stalden, take the second exit towards Saas-Fee. At Saas-Grund, turn right towards Saas-Fee at the intersection after the church.
ParkingThe covered public parking area is located immediately as you drive into Saas-Fee village.
32T 417385 5107319
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water, picnic
- hikingpoles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click “Print” icon, top right, to download)
- 1 Waypoints
- 1 Waypoints
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view