Safety informationWeather conditions: before setting off to tackle a via ferrata, it is important to check the weather forecast. Bad conditions can make climbing dangerous – particularly in stormy weather.
Rockfalls: because of the risk of falling rocks – usually caused by climbers higher up or by animals – all climbers are strongly advised to wear a helmet.
Safety: always leave sufficient distance between yourself and the climber ahead. There should never be more than one person between two anchor points.
Tips and hintsRental:
- Local sports shops in Leukerbad
- Gemmi cable car
Find more information about the destination here:
Getting thereFrom Basel and Zurich: A1 motorway to Bern; A6 to Spiez; direction Kandersteg; Kandersteg - Goppenstein car transport; direction Gampel; Leuk - Leukerbad.
From Geneva: Motorway A1 to Lausanne; direction Sion/Sierre; Leuk - Leukerbad.
From Milan: Motorway A8/A26 direction Simplon; car transport Iselle-Brig; direction Leuk - Leukerbad.
ParkingPark directly at the Gemmi cable car or use different parking possibilities in the village of Leukerbad. Follow the local car park routeing.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentAll climbers must wear a harness. Because of the risk of falling rocks along the route, a helmet is also essential.
Ensure you have sturdy footwear and appropriate clothing, and bring a small rucksack with water and a snack. A suitable pair of gloves will protect your fingers and knuckles from grazes.
Basic Equipment for Via Ferratas
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Via Ferratas
- Via ferrata set
- Climbing harness
- Climbing helmet
- Via ferrata or hard-wearing safety gloves
- Positioning lanyard / personal anchor system with screwgate carabiners for resting
- Via ferrata belay kit if required (when accompanying beginners and / or children)
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.