Via Valais Cabane de Moiry - Zinal (Stage 5)
Valais/Wallis Promotion Verified partner Explorers Choice
Between Moiry hut and ZinalPhoto: PatitucciPhoto, AlpsInsight
Track typesShow elevation profile
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at your own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Valais/Wallis Promotion accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
For all trails:
- Use marked trails only, and take note of all signposting – for both your own safety as well as that of grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please treat other trail users, as well as the plants and animals, with respect.
For mountain trails:
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at high altitudes. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan your trail carefully: take the fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season into consideration.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In case of uncertain weather conditions, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of the route you plan to take. Whenever possible, avoid going alone.
- Take note of warning signs indicating the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs: water levels may rise rapidly without warning
Tips and hints
More information about the destination:
From Moiry hut, go back down the path on which you arrived the day before to an intersection, and head for Feta d'Août de Châteaupré. Walk along the hillside overlooking the entire Lac de Moiry, then go up to the Col de Sorebois, which you cross before heading towards Zinal valley, where a long descent awaits you. Once you reach the banks of the Navizence, cross it and follow the path on the east side of the river to the village of Zinal itself.
Cabane de Moiry - Fêta d’Août de Châteaupré - Sorebois - Crevache - Zinal
Public transportFor the 1st Stage Via Valais : Take the train to Martigny station, then to Le Châble. Take a first gondola lift between Le Châble and Verbier, then a second one from Verbier to Les Ruinettes in order to get to the start of the trail.
Getting thereFor the 1st Stage Via Valais : Take the A9/E62 motorway to Martigny, then continue on the Grand-Saint-Bernard/route 21 via Sembrancher to Le Châble. It is advisable to use public transport however as this is a multi-leg route that ends in Zermatt.
ParkingFor the 1st Stage Via Valais : 240 free parking spaces are available at the Le Châble Aerial Cableway station for a maximum of 10 days.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
1:50’000 : 5003 Mont Blanc – Grand Combin
1:50’000 : 5006 Matterhorn – Mischabel
- Good footwear
- Weather-appropriate clothing: always carry a waterproof jacket
- Hat or peak cap
- Water bottle
- Hiking poles
- 3 Waypoints
- 3 Waypoints
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Help others by being the first to add a review.
Photos from others