From Simplon to Spitzhorli and Altes Spittel
Valais/Wallis Promotion Verified partner Explorers Choice
Simplon TrailPhoto: Patitucci Photo, Valais/Wallis Promotion
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at your own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Valais/Wallis Promotion accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
For all trails:
- Use marked trails only, and take note of all signposting – for both your own safety as well as that of grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please treat other trail users, as well as the plants and animals, with respect.
For mountain trails:
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at high altitudes. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan your trail carefully: take the fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season into consideration.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In case of uncertain weather conditions, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of the route you plan to take. Whenever possible, avoid going alone.
- Take note of warning signs indicating the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs: water levels may rise rapidly without warning.
Tips and hints
More information about the destination:
From the Simplon, Monte Leone bus stop or parking area, the trail heads uphill through Beschmoos to the Üsseri Nanzlicke Pass. An additional 150 meters makes a short out and back to tag the summit of Spitzhorli. Returning to Üsseri Nanzlicke, continue downhill past the Straffolsee before angling upward to the Sirwoltesattel. A steep and sometimes rocky descent leads past the few stone houses of Chluismatte and then follows the Chrummbach to Nideralp. Follow thesigns for the Stockalperweg and you’ll pass Altes Spittel before arriving back at the start.
Simplon, Monte Leone - Beschmoos - Üsseri Nanzlicke - Spitzhorli - Üsseri Nanzlicke - Straffolsee - Sirwoltesattel - Chluismatte - Nideralp - Altes Spittel - Simplon, Monte Leone
Public transportTake the train to Brig, followed by the bus to Simplon and exit at the Monte Leone stop.
Getting thereTake the A9/E62 towards Domodossola/Simplon.
ParkingFree parking is available in Simplon, Monte Leone.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Good footwear
- Weather-appropriate clothing: always carry a waterproof jacket
- Hat or peak cap
- Water bottle
- Hiking poles
- 3 Waypoints
- 3 Waypoints
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Help others by being the first to add a review.
Photos from others