The path leads past the lakes of the Stellisee, Grindjisee, Grünsee, Moosjisee and Leisee. Each of these mountain lakes is very different in terms of shape, colour, character and size, and has its own special attraction. The Leisee is good for swimming: children love it. The Grünsee looks out over a rather more rugged landscape, where Swiss stone pines nevertheless manage to grow among the scree and sand. The shores of the Grindjisee are home to rare flowers. And so on – each one promises a unique experience.
- Appropriate for children from age 6
- Reflection of Matterhorn in Stellisee, Grindjisee and Leisee lakes
- Findeln Glacier moraine
- Swimming in the Leisee and Grünsee lakes
- Children’s playground at Leisee, good picnic site
Hold a family consultation: plan a stop at a mountain restaurant, or would the majority rather have a picnic?
In addition, three of the lakes offer an amazing mirror view of the Matterhorn in good weather.
Rest stopsMountain Lodge Ze Seewjinu
Buffet Bar Sunnegga
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
Tips and hintsBuy your ticket now directly online
Getting thereZermatt is car-free. Private vehicles are permitted only as far as Täsch (5 km before Zermatt). The Täsch–Zermatt road is closed to the public.
Onward travel to Zermatt is either by private taxi or shuttle train. Trains depart every 20 minutes; the journey takes about 12 minutes, and ends at the Bahnhofplatz in Zermatt.
ParkingTäsch has car parks with both covered and open-air parking – e.g. at the Matterhorn Terminal or privately operated facilities.
Onward travel: see “Getting there”.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
- Optionally swimming things (swimming facilities in the Leisee and Grünsee)
- Optionally picnic
- 13 Waypoints
- 13 Waypoints