This trail starts in the smallest village in the Saas valley communities, Saas-Balen. The trail initially follows the forest road out of the valley past the waterfall and then continues on an old alpine path through a snow-covered larch forest via Matt and Ze Gartu to Heimischgarte. It is worth taking a break at the Heimischgarte chapel, offering a sweeping view over the villages at the bottom of the valley up to the dam and the white-capped mountain peaks of the Saas Valley. From this point, follow the path through the various alpine pastures such as Obru Brend, Unnru Brend, Tewaldji and Bodme before finally reaching your destination at Saas-Grund.
Safety informationUse of snowshoe trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes.
- Bring a map. Download the full description of this route including a large-scale map by clicking on the “Print” icon, at the top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals. Do not leave any trash behind you.
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan your hike carefully, taking into consideration the fitness level of each participant, the weather forecast and the season.
- Inform others of your planned route, and whenever possible, avoid going alone.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
Tips and hintsSaastal Tourismus AG
Obere Dorfstrasse 2
Phone: +41 (0)27 958 18 58
Getting thereSaas-Fee/Saas Valley can easily be reached by car from all directions, whether from Switzerland or abroad. From the north you can reach us via Bern via the Lötschberg car transporter. From the east, head over the Furka Pass or use the Furka car transporter. From the south you can reach us via the Simplon Pass or Simplon car transporter and from the west, drive via Lausanne along the Rhône valley to Visp and from there towards Saas-Fee.
From Visp, drive south in the direction of Saas-Fee. At the "Killerhof" roundabout after Stalden, take the second exit towards Saas-Fee.
ParkingAfter the bridge in the village on the right side of the road.
Alternative: Large car park at Hohsaas valley station
Author’s map recommendations
- Good waterproof footwear
- Hiking poles
- Clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- Hat or cap
- Bottle for water, picnic
- Printout of this hike (click “Print” icon, top right, to download)
- 3 Waypoints
- 3 Waypoints