This loop immerses you in the forest located on the heights of Chandolin. Start by walking up alongside the ski slope, before reaching the forest. This gentle path leads you to Pramarin through a peaceful landscape.
The path zigzags up betwen several chalets and join a path on the right, leading to the Illhorn ski run. From here you can enjoy a stunning view on the mountains of the valley. You can see downhill the Illhorn Hut. Don't hesitate to make a well-deserved stop here and have a drink on its panoramic terrace. Then go on by following the ski run and reach the Chandolin’s alpine pasture. The hike continues on a forest road until the ski run that leads you back to the village.
Use of the snowshoe trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Valais/Wallis Promotion accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on “Print” icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals. Do not leave any waste in nature.
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan hike carefully: take into consideration fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible, avoid going alone.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Take note of the warning signs that point out the constant danger, especially the danger of avalanches.
Getting thereTake the motorway A9 towards Sierre, exit Sierre-Est, direction Val d'Anniviers. In Vissoie, follow the sign "St-Luc/Chandolin".
ParkingMany parking places are available in the village centre.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Good, waterproof footwear
clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
hat or cap
bottle for water, picnic
printout of this hike (click “Print” icon, top right, to download)