Stage 2: In the second stage of this tour, descend from the Lötschenpass Hut via the Lötschen Glacier and the Gfellalp into the Gasterental Valley. The descent across the Lötschen Glacier is classified as being "quite difficult" (ZS) and should only be attempted in very safe conditions.
Come to the first “Minergie” mountain hut in the Alps, savour the view across the Valais peaks, let the hut team to pamper you, discover nature all around the lodge, stay in spacious dormitory rooms, gaze at the stars in the suites - and come back again.
More information at: Tel. +41 (0)27 939 19 81 www.loetschenpass.ch
- We recommend that a state-certified mountain guide accompanies you on this ski tour
- Plan your tour carefully
- Ensure that you have a full set of appropriate equipment
- Never embark on a tour alone
- Inform friends, relatives, the mountain hut supervisor or the hotel porter of your proposed tour. Report back when you arrive at your destination.
- Keep a constant eye on weather developments
- Adhere to the principle: if in doubt, turn back!
Tips and hintsOur mountain guides in the Lötschental:
Getting thereDrive into the Lötschental from Goppenstein, past the villages of Ferden and Kippel as far as Wiler to the valley cable car station. Take the cable car up to the Lauchernalp, then continue on a 2-seater or 3-seater chairlift to the Gandegg mountain station.
ParkingYou can park your car in the outdoor car park or in the indoor car park beside the cable car valley station (not free).
- A full set of glacier equipment is essential.
- (The Jungfrau Region Ski-Touring Map 264S) - This 1:50,000 scale topographical map includes the ski tours in the Lötschental Valley, which are described in more detail in the SAC Tour Guide available from the Lötschental Tourist Information Office in Wiler or online at