Moderately difficult technically and physically, this itinerary crosses the sunny Crans-Montana and Leuker Sonnenberge region. It is a varied route that starts below the Petit Mont Bonvin and leads to the idyllic alpine pasture of Merdechon and then to the Cabane de la Tièche. The La Tièche plateau is the first highlight as well as the highest point of the ride, at almost 2,000 metres. A little action awaits you on the way down to the winemaking village of Varen, where you have to cross a stream bed, master rocky passages, winding sections through forests and a few ramps. Before arriving in Susten, be sure to stop for a culture break and visit to Leuk (Loèche) Castle. The glass dome, designed by architect Mario Botta, is the crowning glory. Take the Leuk-Leukerbad bus line to get to the thermal resort at Leukerbad.
Option: if you want to add a little extra elevation to your day, do a few runs on the Leukerbad flowtrail.
Rest StopHameau de Colombire
Cave du Sex
Cabane de la Tièche
Bed and Breakfast Zum Schleif
Restaurant de la Poste
Restaurant zur Grotte
Follow the Valais Alpine Bike route no. 41 in Mountainbiking in Switzerland. View this tour on SwitzerlandMobility: Valais Alpine Bike no. 41.
Use marked bike trails and routes only, making sure you observe all signposting.
Kindly close gates after passing through. Please be considerate to walkers, as well as to plants and animals. As a rule, walkers have priority. When planning, take into account participants’ fitness level and ability. All riding is at one’s own risk.
Tips and hints
Book the offer Valais Bike ! With four days of riding, three nights in bike hotels and a luggage transport service, all that’s left for you to do is hit the trails! To the offer www.visitvalais.ch/valaisbike
More information about the destinations:
Valais Alpine Bike regional route: see full itinerary
View this tour on SwitzerlandMobility: Valais Alpine Bike no. 41
From Basel and Zurich: Take the A1 motorway to Bern; then the A6 as far as Spiez; follow the signs for Kandersteg; Kandersteg–Goppenstein car-carrying train; follow the signs for Sion/Sierre; Sierre-Crans-Montana.
From Geneva: Take the A1 motorway to Lausanne; follow the signs for Sion/Sierre; Sierre-Crans-Montana.
From Milan: Take the A8/A26 motorway towards Simplon; Iselle-Brig car-carrying train; follow the signs for Sion/Sierre; Sierre-Crans-Montana.
P+Rail Sierre : Place de la Gare 6, 3960 Sierre
Parking train station Sierre : Route de la Mondérêche 5, 3960 Sierre.
For this leg of the Valais Alpine Bike, we recommend that you park your vehicle in Leukerbad and then take the train (SBB) to Sierre station and the funicular (SMC Sierre-Montana) to Montana Village.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
We recommend: a bike in excellent working order, a helmet, gloves and a bell, clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof), food and drink.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.