Tackle a section of the legendary Tour du Mont Blanc by mountain bike: from Champex-Lac to the Grand Col Ferret.
Distance 27.3 km
Starting point for the ride is the idyllic village of Champex-Lac, located at an altitude of 1,467 meters. The itinerary takes you all the way to the Italian border, at 2,537 meter, via the villages of Issert, Praz-de-Fort and La Fouly. For a well-deserved break, stop for refreshments at the alpine farmstead of La Peule. From here, continue your climb as far as the Grand Col Ferret on the Italian-Swiss border. Once at the top, you can either continue to Courmayeur in Italy or return by the same route.
Champex’s lake is a natural gem, offering activities including stand-up paddling, pedalo rides, fishing and walks around its tranquil shores.
Safety informationUse marked bike trails and routes only, making sure you observe all signposting. Kindly close gates after passing through. Please be considerate to walkers, as well as to plants and animals. As a rule, walkers have priority. When planning, take into account participants’ fitness level and ability. All riding is at one’s own risk.
Tips and hints
Getting thereA9 motorway to Martigny (exit 22). Follow signs for the Great St Bernard Pass until Orsières, then turn off to the right for Champex-Lac.
ParkingStart and finish points for the ride are different, so we recommend you make use of public transport. Free parking is available at the base station of the chairlift in Champex-Lac.
32T 354234 5099123
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentWe recommend: a bike in excellent working order, a helmet, gloves and a bell, clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof), food and drink.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view