Starting in Saas-Almagell, this circular ride leads up to the Mattmark dam and around the dam through magnificent alpine scenery before returning to the starting point.
Distance 22.2 km
From Saas-Almagell, this circular tour leads to the Mattmark dam, circles the lake in an alpine landscape and returns to the starting point via a rapid downhill run.
Take your time. Enjoy the tranquil setting to the full along with the magnificent flora along the trail.
Rest StopMattmark Restaurant
Safety informationUse marked bike trails and routes only, making sure you observe all signposting. Kindly close gates after passing through. Please be considerate to walkers, as well as to plants and animals. As a rule, walkers have priority. When planning, take into account participants’ fitness level and ability. All riding is at one’s own risk.
Tips and hints
View this tour on SwitzerlandMobility:
More information: Saasfee - Saastal
Getting thereTake the cantonal road to Visp. At the roundabout by the Landbrücke bridge, turn south on the road for Saas-Fee and Zermatt. If driving from Raron, take the second exit at the first roundabout before Visp and drive through the Visp tunnel (Vispertaltunnel), heading south. Both routes lead you south up the Saas valley. At the “Killerhof” roundabout (after Stalden), take the second exit towards Saas-Fee and follow the road towards Saas-Fee. At the junction in Saas-Grund (after the church), turn left in the direction of Saas-Almagell. Follow the road until Saas-Almagell.
ParkingPublic parking available on the right side of the road after the tourist office.
32T 419439 5105031
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentWe recommend: a bike in excellent working order, a helmet, gloves and a bell, clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof), food and drink.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view