This walk combines parts of the resort’s «Thermal spring trek» theme trail (Thermalquellen-Weg) with the «Thermal canyon walk» (Thermalquellen-Steg) into the Dala gorge.
The theme trail explores the history and significance of the thermal springs in Leukerbad. Our route begins in the village centre and crosses the resort to reach the Dala gorge. Information panels along the way give details of the various hot springs in the resort and reveal the medicinal properties of the thermal water and its importance for the local economy.
At the entrance to the Dala gorge, you leave the theme trail and begin the «Thermal canyon walk». This follows a walkway opened in 2004: a secured steel structure that leads deep into the gorge. Leukerbad’s famous thermal springs bubble up in the river bed below your feet. Rust-brown streaks show the high iron content of the thermal water, which emerges from cracks and fissures in the gorge’s rock walls.
The wheelchair-accessible walkway is about 600 metres long and leads through the Dala gorge as far as a 35-metre-high waterfall. Able-bodied visitors can continue via flights of steps up to the source of this waterfall – a peaceful pool of crystal-clear water.
Our route now leaves the ravine and returns to Leukerbad via the northern side of the gorge and the hamlet of Buljes.
The described route follows only part of the theme trail. This additionally leads through the lower part of the village of Leukerbad – offering a potential extension to our walk.
- Theme trail with info panels on Leukerbad’s thermal spring water and its uses.
- Wheelchair-accessible canyon walkway through the Dala gorge to the hot springs.
Safety informationUse of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. My Leukerbad accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
For all hikes:
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips and hintsThermal Spring Guild of Leukerbad
Getting thereFrom Basel and Zurich: A1 motorway to Bern; A6 to Spiez; direction Kandersteg; Kandersteg - Goppenstein car transport; direction Gampel; Leuk - Leukerbad.
From Geneva: Motorway A1 to Lausanne; direction Sion/Sierre; Leuk - Leukerbad.
From Milan: Motorway A8/A26 direction Simplon; car transport Iselle-Brig; direction Leuk - Leukerbad.
ParkingDifferent underground car parks in Leukerbad. Follow the local car park routeing in Leukerbad.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
For certain walks: