The historic Alpine crossing runs along four generations of roads (Roman, Stockalper, Napoleon, National Road). Combined with cultural highlights and an impressive alpine flora in an imposing mountain backdrop, the Stockalperweg is a real experience.
The sights along the historic ViaStockalper tell many stories. So that you can fully enjoy these experiences, we recommend that you walk the route in 3 stages.
ViaStockalper hiking package
In the footsteps of ingenious Kaspar Stockalper over the Simplon Pass. Brig-Gondo in 4 days. Price: from CHF 359 incl. hotel accommodation, luggage transfer, free PostBus travel, packed lunches, admission to museums, guided tour of Stockalperschloss and much more.
Connection to the Postbus Simplon line at the start and finish as well as at various locations on the way.
Herberge Hospiz Simplon
Hotel Post Simplon Dorf
Hotel Monte Leone
Safety informationThe hike is at your own risk. Insurance is the responsibility of the hiker.
Tips and hints
Simplonpass - Alter Spittel - Engiloch section: 4.7 km, 1h.
Engiloch - Maschihüs - Simplon Dorf section: 5.2 km, 1h 30min.
Getting thereIn Brig, take the post bus from the train station towards Simplon or Domodossola (I).
ParkingParking is available on the Simplon Pass.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentEquipment adapted to the weather is indispensable. For all hikes it is strongly recommended to wear good, sturdy mountain boots.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.