Descent to the scattered village of Bognanco, which today is only a shadow of the once flourishing thermal spa. On the left side of the valley, a beautiful mule track leads us through poetically sleepy hamlets to the charming town of Domodossola.
ViaStockalper hiking package
In the footsteps of ingenious Kaspar Stockalper over the Simplon Pass. Brig-Gondo in 4 days. Price: from CHF 359 incl. hotel accommodation, luggage transfer, free PostBus travel, packed lunches, admission to museums, guided tour of Stockalperschloss and much more.
Rest StopYolki Palki
The best time to hike on the ViaStockalper is from the beginning of June to mid-October. The proposed route follows well-maintained and secured hiking and mountain trails.
The trail is at your own risk. Insurance is the hiker's responsibility.
Information on the current condition of the hiking trails can be obtained from the local tourist offices.
Tips and hints
Brig Simplon Tourismus
The hike is at your own risk. Insurance is the responsibility of the hiker. The hiking trails on Italian soil are not all perfectly maintained and signposted. It is important to have good maps with you.
On Italian side the way is marked with D00.
Getting thereBy bus from Brig to Gondo.
ParkingParking is available in Domodossola.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentEquipment suitable for the weather is indispensable. For all hikes it is strongly recommended to wear good, sturdy mountain boots.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.