The hike starts on the Simplon Pass in the direction of Nanzlicka. After the "Lengritz" you descend about 200m. Then the ascent to the Glishorn follows.
The descent from Glishorn to Mattustafel is steep, so be careful. It is important not to miss the beginning of the small path approx. 250 metres west of the Glishorn summit. From Mattustafel to Brig, you can either use the wide corridor road or continue down the very steep mountain path to Brig.
Arriving at the destination, one can enjoy the Glishorn, which rises in the south of the city, once again from below.
Getting thereBy post car from Brig.
ParkingParking is available in Brig and Simplonpass.
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentEquipment adapted to the weather is indispensable. For all hikes it is strongly recommended to wear good, sturdy mountain boots.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.