The challenging hiking trail begins at the school building in Simplon Dorf and crosses the Talbach (Chrummbach) on the bridge of the access road. At the end of the bridge, it branches off to the right, crosses the corridor road after a few metres and then climbs in many bends over Hobielestafel to Alpjerbidi. The Gondos Gorge opens before our feet. Even if it seems impossible at first glance, there is an easy mountain path through these rock walls. Its use, however, requires a head for heights and sure-footedness. Who doubts, rather take the way back via Hobielustaful to Simplon village. The mountain path leads in a north-easterly direction, initially almost flat, through the Alpjerwäng, until after about 700 m the short but steep zigzag path leads down to Alpjen/Egga. Here the path leads into an asphalted alpine road. On this little road you now descend to the stop "Alte Kaserne" at the Simplonstrasse.
Rest StopHotel Post Simplon Dorf
Safety informationFrom Alpjerbiedi this hike is only suitable for sure-footed, experienced mountain hikers who are free from vertigo. The hike is at your own risk. Insurance is the responsibility of the hiker.
Tips and hints
Getting thereIn Gabi, near the Alte Kaserne, in Ramserna and in Gondo there is a connection to the Simplon Postbus line. The tour can take place in both directions. You can also turn back in Alpjerbidi and take one of the variants back to Simplon Dorf.
ParkingParking is available in Simplon Dorf and near the Alte Kaserne.
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentEquipment adapted to the weather is indispensable. For all hikes it is strongly recommended to wear good, sturdy mountain boots.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.