From Simplon Dorf, the trail leads over the deeply cut Chrummbach to the opposite "Hitte", single-farmed, formerly temporarily inhabited Maiensässen.
The "Hittuwald" above consists of giant larches, some up to 850 years old. With the abandonment of the keeping of goats, which up to 50 years ago devoured the young trees, the old larches are displaced again by the young growth in the long term.
From the Bleikenkapelle the path leads down to Gabi with connection to the Stockalperweg and back up to Simplon Dorf.
Getting thereBy post bus or private vehicle from Brig or Iselle.
ParkingParking is available in Simplon Dorf.
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentEquipment adapted to the weather is indispensable. For all hikes, it is strongly recommended to wear good, sturdy mountaineering boots.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.