The Simplon Bergalpe circuit opens up the unique Simplon pass landscape. The trail runs along former, partly very old stretches of road and connects the various alpine settlements. It crosses - past the Hopschusee and Rotelsee - the typical pass landscape of the Simplon Bergalpe with round hump hills, small swamps, raised bogs, alpine pastures and walled private estates.
The extensive summer pasture - in 1913 it consisted of a "border" of 783 cow rights - is divided into quarters and consists of ten alpine villages. The individual cow rights are distributed on these stairs, so that each alpine village is managed on its own. The traditional alpine farm on the Simplon Bergalpe was the single alpine pasture. With this alpine system, each farmer had to build a hut with a stable and, if there was still some hay, a small barn in one of the alpine villages.
Getting thereFrom Brig by post bus or private vehicle to the Simplon Pass.
ParkingFree parking is available on the Simplon Pass.
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentEquipment adapted to the weather is indispensable. For all hikes it is strongly recommended to wear good, sturdy mountain boots.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.