This exhilarating hike offers a thrilling combination of breathtaking views, pristine nature and high adventure. Add atmospheric mountain restaurants at the start, middle and finish, and you have the ingredients for an unforgettable day out.
The hike starts at Kreuzboden by the gondola station, lake and adventure playground. The first half of the route leads at high level (between 2,400 m and 2,520 m) southwards along the Saastal valley. The views of the glaciated Mischabel massif – which culminates in the Dom (4,545 m), the highest mountain entirely within Switzerland – are bewitching. As the trail rounds the Triftgrätji ridge, hikers enjoy perhaps the finest view of all: up and down the whole valley, to the Mattmark reservoir and beyond.
This initial stretch of trail as far as Triftgrätji also forms the first part of the alpine flower trail (from Kreuzboden to Saas-Grund), which showcases about 240 species of flower including edelweiss and gentian.
Beyond the ridge, the trail continues south before turning east to descend into a side valley, the wild Almagellertal: expect pristine nature and blissful tranquillity. The mountain hotel framed by flower-filled pastures offers an ideal refreshment stop.
Our route leads downstream before turning south again for the hike’s grand finale: the Almagell adventure trail. This leads across the steep, rocky slopes of the Almagellerhorn, and features exposed rock passages secured with hand-holds, rails and nets. Hikers need a sure foot and a good head for heights. After two suspension footbridges, 45 m and 60 m long, the trail finishes in grand style with a nearly vertical path down the rock face.
- High-altitude trail with spectacular views of the Saastal valley and its glaciated peaks
- Alpine flowers, pristine nature
- Adventure trail with two giddy suspension footbridges
Rest StopBerghotel Almagelleralp
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Valais/Wallis Promotion accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
For all hikes:
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
For mountain hikes:
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan hike carefully: take into consideration fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
For high-altitude hikes:
- Inform others of the route you plan to take. Whenever possible, avoid going alone.
- Do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Take note of the warning signs that point out the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs: water levels may rise rapidly without warning.
Tips and hints
More information about the destination:
Getting thereA9 motorway and main road up the Rhône valley to Visp. Turn south up the Vispertal valley, and at Stalden turn left up the Saastal valley. Continue as far as Saas-Grund.
ParkingCar park at bottom station of Kreuzboden gondola.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
For certain walks: