The Gemsweg (“Chamois Trail”) circular route reveals views of Saas-Fee from three sides as it leads through the spectacular glacial landscape that attracted the first international visitors more than 150 years ago and continues to bewitch guests today.
The hike begins at Saas-Fee. The first half of the walk leads uphill across the mountain slopes to the west of the resort, eventually reaching the crest of the former lateral moraine of the Fee Glacier. The ridge offers a fine view of the young landscape revealed by the retreating glacier: a stony valley decorated with a lattice of rivulets flowing into a glacial lake. Two centuries ago, all this lay under a river of ice: the atmosphere is magical.
Our trail follows the ridge downhill before traversing this new riverscape upstream of the lake. A climb through the forest leads to the Gletschergrotte, a mountain restaurant with sun terrace that offers a handy refreshment stop.
Beyond, the trail cross a pair of glacial streams along the way. It then goes down along the Feevispa river and leads you back to the village of Saas-Fee.
The walk offers good chances of spotting wildlife including chamois. These agile and shy goat-antelopes can run at up to 50 kph and jump 2 metres vertically in the air. You’ll need patience and a keen eye to spot them!
- Superb views of Saas-Fee, its mountains, glaciers and valley
- Encounter with the new landscapes sculpted by the Fee Glacier
- Panoramic gondola rides & restaurants at start and finish
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Valais/Wallis Promotion accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
For all hikes:
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
For mountain hikes:
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan hike carefully: take into consideration fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
For high-altitude hikes:
- Inform others of the route you plan to take. Whenever possible, avoid going alone.
- Do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Take note of the warning signs that point out the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs: water levels may rise rapidly without warning.
Tips, hints and links
More information about the destination:
Getting thereA9 motorway and main road up the Rhône valley to Visp. Turn south up the Vispertal valley, following signs for Saas-Fee.
ParkingSaas-Fee ist car free. Multi-storey car park at entrance to Saas-Fee.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
For certain walks: