From the peaks of Crans-Montana to the mountainous cirque of Leukerbad, the second stage of the Valais Cycling Tour takes you downhill to Sierre, the city of sunshine, and across the vineyards of Salgesch before finishing in the thermal resort of Leukerbad.
Distance 40.9 km
When leaving Crans-Montana, take the time to admire the numerous peaks above 4,000 metres during your 400m descent. After you dive into the Rhone Valley you will reach the town of Sierre before beginning the final ascent through the vineyards around the villages of Salqenen and Varen. A road carved into a rock face then takes you into the Dalatal Valley and climbs in regular increments to the town of Leukerbad, which is famous for its thermal pools.
Take a moment to stop at Plumachit and admire the beautiful landscape!
Rest StopRestaurant Mi-Côte
Safety informationStrictly respect the Swiss traffic rules. Please note that you are running the tour at your own risk and all liability is refused. Please be considerate to plants and animals. For your own safety, wear an helmet every time you ride a bike. Emergency numbers: 144 Ambulance / 117 Police / 1414 Helicopter Rescue (Rega).
Tips and hints
Getting thereLeave the A9 motorway at the Sierre-Ouest exit, then follow the cantonal route via Chermignon until the “Centre Sportif la Moubra” in Crans-Montana.
ParkingThis tour takes place over several stages and the starting and finishing points are in different locations. We therefore advise you to travel to the starting point by public transport. To do so, we recommend using the SBB car park in Sierre (Plaine Bellevue) or Leuk. Parking is also available in Crans-Montana. Please follow local parking instructions.
32T 382986 5129875
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentWe recommend: bike in excellent working order, helmet, gloves and bell, clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof), food and drink.
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view