The Nufenen pass is one of the highest mountain passes in Switzerland. Only the Umbrail pass in Grisons stands higher. This ride between the Canton of Valais and the Canton of Ticino is a must for cycling enthusiasts.
Distance 13.7 km
On leaving Ulrichen, the Route of Nufenen pass may not be the most memorable, but it doesn’t take long for the gradient to become demanding and there isn’t much respite during the kilometers up to the summit. As the magnificent setting comes into view bit by bit, it’ll take any cyclist’s breath away. Gradually you’ll see the mountain corries with their ever-snowy summits, as you inch forward on the climb to the top of the pass.
Visit the historical villages in the Goms valley.
Rest StopRestaurant Nufenenpass
Safety informationStrictly respect the Swiss traffic rules. Please note that you are running the tour at your own risk and all liability is refused. Please be considerate to plants and animals. For your own safety, wear an helmet every time you ride a bike. Emergency numbers: 144 Ambulance / 117 Police / 1414 Helicopter Rescue (Rega).
Tips and hints
More information about the destination:
Getting thereFrom Brig, follow the cantonal route 19 "Furkastrasse" for 37km until you arrive in Ulrichen. You can travel to the Goms valley coming from Zurich or Lucerne as well.
ParkingParking in the village of Ulrichen. Follow the local car park routeing.
32T 447083 5150438
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentWe recommend: bike in excellent working order, helmet, gloves and bell, clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof), food and drink.
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view