From the village of Oberwald at the very top of the Goms Valley to the summit of the Furka Pass, this road is one of the highest passes in Switzerland, connecting the canton of Valley with the canton of Uri.
Distance 16.5 km
The Furka Pass is probably one of the prettiest passes in Switzerland. At an altitude of 2,431m, it is the fourth highest after the Umbrail, the Grand-St-Bernard and Nufenen passes. From Oberwald in the magnificent Goms Valley until the summit which straddles the cantons of Valais and Uri, the route passes through Gletsch and then rises, coming flirtatiously close with the Rhone Glacier. The great river is derived from these remote snow melts before crossing the entire canton until Lake Geneva and – then – on to the Mediterranean! It is definitely worth a stop at the restaurant that overlooks this incredible place.
Have a rest at the Belvédère hotel and visit the ice cave inside the Rhone Glacier.
Safety informationStrictly respect the Swiss traffic rules. Please note that you are running the tour at your own risk and all liability is refused. Please be considerate to plants and animals. For your own safety, wear an helmet every time you ride a bike. Emergency numbers: 144 Ambulance / 117 Police / 1414 Helicopter Rescue (Rega).
Tips and hints
Getting thereFrom Brig, follow the cantonal route 19 "Furkastrasse" for 40km until you arrive in Oberwald.
ParkingParking at the train station in Oberwald, follow the local car park routeing.
32T 450014 5153627
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentWe recommend: bike in excellent working order, helmet, gloves and bell, clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof), food and drink.
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view