Valais/Wallis Promotion Verified partner Explorers Choice
Cross-country skiing on the sunny SonnenloipePhoto: Obergoms Tourismus
On warm winter days, you’ll quite often see cross-country skiers out and about here in their t-shirts. The Sonnenloipe in Obergoms certainly lives up to its name: hugging the right bank of the Rhône, it runs from Obergesteln, through Ulrichen and on to Geschinen without ever leaving the sunny side of the valley. Gentle slopes lead you past restaurants, trail cafés and traditional chalets whose wooden panels have darkened in the Valais sun. Ambitious skiers can carry on from Geschinen to Münster.
The Sonnenloipe can be easily reached via rail. The Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn stops right next to the trail, both at the starting point in Obergesteln and the finishing point in Geschinen.
The Sun Trail is also part of Loipen Schweiz’s Heart Trails (Herz-Loipe) project. Defibrillators have been installed at Obergesteln and Ulrichen to allow for an immediate response to any incidents on the trail. A far more frequent problem on the trail is, of course, sunburn, so remember to apply plenty of sun cream before heading out!
Strenghten yourself with a culinary break, as for example at the restaurant Mühle in Geschinen with its local dishes and specialities. The restaurants Baschi and Elmars Gadä are situated next to the slopes as well.
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at skiers’ own risk. Valais/Wallis Promotion accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals. Do not leave any waste in nature, take with you waste from others.
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential.
Tips and hints
More information about the destinations:
Public transportFrequent CFF train connections from all over Switzerland to Brig, then MGB (Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn) train or bus to Obergesteln (1h 15). You can travel to the Goms valley coming from Zurich or Lucerne as well. Find full timetable information at www.cff.ch
By roadFrom Brig, follow the cantonal route 19 "Furkastrasse" for 38km until you arrive in Obergesteln. You can travel to the Goms valley coming from Zurich or Lucerne as well.
ParkingParking at the train station in Obergesteln. Follow the local car park routeing.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good cross-country skiing equipment
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- 1 Waypoints
- 1 Waypoints
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Help others by being the first to add a review.
Photos from others