The Nordic Snow Sports Centre (Nordisches Schneesportzentrum) in Ulrichen is sure to get any ambitious skier’s pulse racing – and that’s not just because of the steep climbs they’ll find on the FIS-Rennloipe. In fact, the nearly five kilometres of shaded trail combines sharp ascents with challenging descents.
Lined with the canton’s traditional stilted barns, the trail is used as a training ground for professional cross-country skiers, and races are organised here too. But watch out! This is a demanding course with lots of changes of direction – race around it too quickly and you might find yourself flying off the piste entirely!
The trail extends around the Nordic Centre and can be reached in just fifteen minutes from Ulrichen railway station. There is snow cover here from November onwards, which means the trail enjoys ideal conditions from very early in the season.
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at skiers’ own risk. Valais/Wallis Promotion accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals. Do not leave any waste in nature, take with you waste from others.
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential.
Tips and hints
More information about the destination:
Getting thereFrom Brig, follow the cantonal route 19 "Furkastrasse" for 37km until you arrive in Ulrichen. You can travel to the Goms valley coming from Zurich or Lucerne as well.
ParkingParking at the nordic sports centre in Ulrichen, follow the local car park routeing.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good cross-country skiing equipment
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap