This hike is very demanding. The last ascent over large stones to Zwischbergenpass and the descent over the loose scree and snow field to Zibelenflüe has an alpine character and must not be underestimated under any circumstances. Due to the natural conditions (snowfield, scree), the trail is not always clearly visible, but there are clearly visible markings in many places. Good preparation and equipment are absolutely essential for this tour.
From Zwischbergen, Borf there is a call bus during the summer months. Reservations are essential up to 2 hours before departure or in the evening by 5.00 pm.
Rest StopAlmageller Hütte 2.894m
Safety informationFor alpine hikes, consider the following safety tips:
- Choose a hike that is appropriate for your abilities
- Mountain hiking is an endurance sport. Only set off in a healthy and rested condition.
- Stay alert during the ascent and descent
- When planning, pay attention to current weather reports. Turn back early in case of bad weather
- Equipment should be adapted to the hike
- Good hiking shoes are mandatory to wear
- Always stay on marked trails. Shortcuts should be avoided
- Regular breaks with food and drink are necessary to maintain concentration and efficiency
- Hiking alone should be avoided Inform others about the planned route.
- Respect nature! Always take litter with you and observe regulations in protected areas.
All hikes are at the hiker's own risk. Insurance is the responsibility of the hiker.
Tips and hints
Further information and tips on www.brig-simplon.ch
Getting thereBy car or post bus to Saas-Almagell. The starting point of the tour, the Allmagellerhütte, can be reached in around 3.5 hours from Saas-Almagell.
ParkingFee required parking is available in the Saas Valley and in Gondo.
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentThe following equipment should be taken along for alpine hikes:
- High mountain boots possibly suitable for crampons
- Clothes adapted to the season and weather
- ice axe, rope and safety equipment
- maps 1:25 000
- First aid kit with rescue blanket
- cell phone
- Enough provisions